Monday, November 17, 2008

I...O...W...A!

I survived my first Iowa game and learned a few things along the way.

1) Never underestimate the power of a good thermos. Josh and I dropped $20 on one prior to the game in hopes that it would keep my hot chocolate and Bailey's warm during the two hour drive to Iowa City and the three hours before the actual game...and it did!

2) I'm not above looking foolish in an attempt to stay warm when the temps are falling. That is why I wore seven shirts, two pairs of pants, two pairs of socks, one hat and for a brief moment two pairs of gloves (I discarded one of the pairs when I figured out that I wasn't capable of opening or holding anything, or using the restroom with both pairs).

3) One of the most entertaining things about going to a sporting event are the crazies that you end up sitting next to during the game. We were fortunate enough to stand near a long haired blond fellow who yelled about every call that was made, played a mean air guitar to "Black Betty" and made lots of emphatic gestures/mime motions.

4) In the I...O...W...A! cheer it is not so good to be the W. Way too many syllables so it takes longer to say than the other letters, thus making it impossible to yell as loud as I, O or A. Next time if I'm in the W section I'm switching seats. I think I was born to be an O.

Overall, it was a fun experience and I hope that we get to go to more games. I think it would be a real treat if we could go to one where I only have to wear one to two layers. :)

Here's Grizzly Adams and BJ before the game.



Jill and I trying to stay warm. If you look closely, you can see that I'm sporting some man hands, a special effect from the double glove combo.


1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Well, that's curious how you mention liking the O section and that just so happens to be the one flag that's currently missing from Iowa's flag fleet. Something you care to share?